Child Custody Attorney Orange County


Divorce is difficult enough, but figuring out a parenting plan can be heart-wrenching. Custody is often the biggest impediment to reaching a global settlement in your divorce or parentage action. The attorneys at R & S Law Group work with you, whether you need assistance negotiating an amicable custody agreement or you need legal counsel to help you modify a parenting plan that is no longer appropriate for one reason or another. We offer compassionate, dedicated representation. We are committed to your family and your children’s best interest. We make every effort to meet your goals quickly and efficiently.

Legal custody is the ability to make decisions especially long-term decisions about your minor child or children, decisions such as what school you children will attend, what physican they will use, if they can obtain a driver’s license or a passport, etc.

Joint legal custody means that both parents will consult with one another when making such decisions for their minor children. Sole legal custody means that only one parent has the authority to make legal decisions. Joint legal custody is usually appropriate for two parents who are able to communicate and who have both had a role in caring for the minor children. When parents live far from one another, one party is absent, or parents don’t communicate, sole legal custody to one parent may be the better option.

Physical custody is where your child resides primarily. Sole custody or primary physical custody means that a child lives primarily with one parent. Joint physical custody means that the child spends significant time with both parents. Joint physical custody does not always mean 50-50. More often than not, joint physical custody is not a true 50-50 split.

Contact R&S Law Group for a child custody attorney Orange County trusts.

Frequently Asked Questions

How Does The Court Decide Who Gets Custody?

The court has broad discretion when it comes to custody. California law says the court must choose the custody plan that is in your child’s best interest. When looking at your child’s best interest, they will look at the current parenting plan and determine who has been the primary caretaker as well as any other evidence offered to determine the correct child sharing arrangement.

I Heard I Have To Go To Mediation If I Want To Change My Custody Arrangement. What’s That?

California law requires all parents seeking the court’s assistance in crafting a visitation or custody plan to first attend mediation at the courthouse. An independent, neutral mediator is assigned to your case, and you and the other parent sit down with this mediator and attempt to reach an workable solution. The role of the mediator is to facilitate conversation between the two parents so that the two of you can reach an amicable agreement. Sometimes, this process is all that is necessary to finalize visitation plans. Other times, mediation is unsuccessful, and the assistance of a judge is still required.

The information on this page is informational only and should not be construed as legal advice.